Wednesday, April 24, 2013

My new Research - Mental Health Forums

I attended a research course last Wednesday- ‘An introduction to public involvement in health and social research’ - People and Research South West. This was at University of Bristol presented by Professor David Evans University of the West of England UWE. The course was helpful for a mental health and sport bid. Attendees went over public engagement in this funding bid for investigating the effects of sport and exercise on mental health. I'm part of the team applying for this research funding.

We're going to another funding workshop in Devon on Thursday April 25. All day in Buckfast Abbey run by Research Design Service - South West (RDS-SW) - http://www.rds-sw.nihr.ac.uk/.

I'm writing a proposal for research and implementation of Web-based networks for healing mental health. This is for enabling sharing of help and support.

Networks for Healing - User Driven Computing for Mental Health Peer Support Networks
“This is a proposal for research and implementation of Web-based networks for healing mental health by enabling sharing of help and support. This will be a simple forum system for social networking, protective and friendly. Mental health patients will be involved in the design of this peer support system. The problem this addresses is that a digital by default society causes social exclusion for mental health patients who are often not well digitally connected. This can then worsen their symptoms.

The proposal is inspired by similar activities and research with the focus on exercise and team sports, (Bristol Active Life Project, BALP - http://www.bristol.gov.uk/page/leisure-and-culture/bristol-active-life-project-balp). The emphasis is on applying a similar methodology to peer support networks. Web/Computer networks would be the basis for improvement and development of peer support service user networks.”

I am broadening my research. My PhD was applicable outside of aerospace also. Then I've adjusted according to the crises and opportunities that have been coming my way. The User-Driven and End-User parts of my research apply well to include those digitally excluded. I'm also hedging my bets that my voluntary opportunities may eventually lead to first clerical/computing opportunities within the NHS and eventually NHS Informatics (computing).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI Peter, Have looked at your website & found it of interest thank you. I am myself a registered disabled pensioner. I was in my younger years a disability activist. Today I keep in touch with many disabled groups and individuals. Pls stay in touch.